Wednesday, July 29, 2009

You May Never See Another Dog Blog From Me

How is it Wednesday? I have been busy. I promised myself a Monday blog just to keep things rolling in my tiny corner of cyberspace....ooops. No good writing today, just some thoughts.

My dog had to get put to sleep yesterday. I am not going to pretend to be any kind of a dog lover because you all know I am not, but Torrie was the best. I got her for Christmas when I was 15. I named her Torrie because when I was 15, I had all of my kids names picked out and my girl name (I was going to have 2 boys, a girl, and then another boy), was going to be Victoria but I was going to call her 'Torrie'. This explains something about my childhood. Yes, I was socially awkward. This does not explain something else. How was I not gay?

Well, with Torrie's passing I can't help but focus on 2 things: 1) Why get a dog when you know you will have to watch it die? 2) Something that tied me to being a 15 year old kid is gone. You know me. I can't NOT re-examine the past 15 years of my life.

Black labs live to be 10-12. Mine lived to be 15. I guess that makes me lucky. I don't feel better knowing that. I had forgotten how much I used to play with her back then. I bought my own dog food, paid for dog classes. I was a legit owner. Not bad for a kid. When I moved out a couple years later, I left her with my mom. She loved my mom the most, and will always be remembered as my mom's dog. But for me, she was my dog. We had 3 other dogs growing up. She was the only one I claimed.

15 years. Is that a long time? A short time? What did I do in her lifetime?

Firsts: real job, real girlfriend, real car, love & pain
Life: graduated HS, moved out, moved back, bought a house, graduated college, moved to Reno, got my masters, moved back, moved around, moved to Atlanta
Jobs: babysitter, computers, office furniture, cable, media buyer, advertising, IT start-up, sportswriter, radio/TV talent, non-profit development
Women: just kidding, but believe me, I know the list and I went through it.

If this was a real-time post, you would be wondering where I have been for the past hour. I have literally started putting actual dates to the significant events of the past 15 years of my life. How old was I when I bought my house? What actual year did start working there? I was going there, and doing that, when I was dating who? I got up to my college graduation before I decided I should finish this blog.

Obsession + lack of memory = a fun time digging away at the past. My resume' was a great guide. Throw in my school dates which I know, and it starts to take shape. For some reason I am good at remembering when I started and stopped dating girlfriends too.

I had actually planned on talking about a bunch of other stuff in here, but now I am out of time. Spent my whole lunch break on a stupid timeline (which I secretly love).

Oh well, I'll see what I can get to later in the week. Guess its fitting that Torrie get her own blog. When she was a puppy, I was a boy. Now she is gone, and I am a man. R.I.P. girl. You were a great dog.

4 comments:

  1. Paul, So sorry to hear about your loss. I know how you feel when I had to put my Basset Hound "Sammy" down. I would rather experience the love of a pet than to never know a pets love. Most people never understand, because they don't want to experience the pain and saddness that comes with ownership. I am glad that God gave me the love for animals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paulie, im sorry to hear it brother. We put "PJ" (obviously not my bro) down right before Christmas and it was really hard man. It's funny when you think back to how many great memories actually involved the pet you love. They become a member of the family, as he did to ours, and she did to yours, and parting with that is more difficult than i think expected. However, if i follow what you're saying about the life expectancy, we all know its coming, just not when, so i think it makes it a whole lot less significant than a human life, if for nothing else than the fact that were, well, human. At any rate, my condolances man. Wish you well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paulie, im sorry to hear it brother. We put "PJ" (obviously not my bro) down right before Christmas and it was really hard man. It's funny when you think back to how many great memories actually involved the pet you love. They become a member of the family, as he did to ours, and she did to yours, and parting with that is more difficult than i think expected. However, if i follow what you're saying about the life expectancy, we all know its coming, just not when, so i think it makes it a whole lot less significant than a human life, if for nothing else than the fact that were, well, human. At any rate, my condolances man. Wish you well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, I know this kills the reflective mood, but I spit out my drink when I read this line from Ross:

    Paulie, im sorry to hear it brother. We put "PJ" (obviously not my bro) down.

    Hahaha - love that he had to clarify!

    ReplyDelete