Thursday, July 23, 2009

Goodbye 757

It's official. For the first time since the 804 split and the 757 was born, I cannot be reached with a 757 area code. Try it, and this is all you get:

"The person you have called is unavailable right now..."

Then some Spanish, then some technical jargon. It's erie. I have called my own number a half dozen times this week. I know it's lame, but it's just so bizarre to me. Not sad, or happy, or emotional at all. Just bizarre.

It took 6 months to accept that I should move, 6 months to accept that I would move, and another 6 to accept that I had moved. And then I canceled the last thing that connected me to VA.

January, 2008: I knew my time in VA was over.
July, 2009: I knew I wasn't going back.

Goodbye 757. You have been good to me. I left for Reno in 2002, but we both knew I'd be back. When I moved to the 'burg for grad school and promised I'd never return, we both knew I was lying. When I was staying out in LA for large chunks of '03 and '04; even going so far as to almost take a job out there, we both knew it was just a fling. Even when NYC and Philly had me so many times, you always knew I would find my way home.

This time it's for real. Know that I will always think of you fondly as the place of my youth and my first love.

p.s. Why do I love being melodramatic when I write? Am I like this in real life?

No comments:

Post a Comment