Monday, September 7, 2009

Mad Men Blog – Season 3, Episode 4

Scarred. Pessimistic. Nervous. Tentative. Relieved. Happy.

That was my range of emotions this week as Mad Men (finally) got back on track in season 3. I’ve heard my share of ‘set the bar so low this week had to be better’ talk, but this ep started solidly and delivered in the end. Highlights:

Peggy. You all know I love Peggy. Between her moving to Manhattan, trying to act ‘hip’, and being vindicated by the Patio campaign, she was earning her big boy pants all episode. Nice to see her and Joan moving into friendly territory again. It was only natural that there would be tension as Peggy moved up professionally and Joan went domestic. The juxtaposition of those two as opposing glimpses of the feminine ‘ideal’ in 1962 is pretty cool. Peggy needs Joan; it was nice to see her acknowledge that, and for Joan to be cool about it.

Good office stuff. We finally get to see the Patio spot; Sal gets a promotion (I told you Don would take care of him); the jai alai kid, his dad and Cooper, and all that went into that was great. It was nice to be back in the office and seeing all of that play out. The setting of the show is its defining feature, so this had a nice ‘back-to-the-bread-and-butter’ feel.

Gene is dead. I was practically giddy. His screen time was the only negative of this ep, and once he was gone I was legitimately stoked about Mad Men again.

This is why I love this show. Every episode doesn't have to be epic or dramatic. Sometimes we just watch people live. Thoroughly enjoyable. It’s good to be back.

***Friday afternoon update: Just read that Tony Kornheiser's fantasy team is named Sterling Cooper Manning. These are the things that I think you should know. I love it when my worlds collide.

1 comment:

  1. Cant wait to hear your thoughts on tonights ep, holy cow they are on FIRE

    ReplyDelete